5+ years of dancinephile
history in Vancouver
CASCADIA is a destination for Dancinephiles who want to see top quality technique, storytelling and creative expression on the big screen, and cultivate their own skills by connecting with industry leaders and those who are passionate about what they do. It's a total love-fest and dancefilm geek out!
The Outcome, Lisa Lam
- Quaranscreendance online curated playlist
- Live theatrical screenings at Eaton Workshop in DC
- Online short & short feature films
- Dancinema (Inter)Networking Call
- Weekly Frameform Podcast episodes produced by Rixey co-hosted by Hanah Weber, Clare Schweitzer & Dancinema's Jen Ray
Sarah Prikryl (Christina's World) At Standard Vision: Movements in Space
August 24 - 29
- Screened 23 short films at Vancouver International Film Centre
- Feature Film Previews Screening & Audience Survey
- American Tap documentary feature film screening co-presented with Vancouver Tap Dance Society plus Tap Dance in Media Panel with Andrew Nemr, Max Pollak, Danny Nielson, Demi Remick & Jen Ray
- Screendance Forum partnership and Frameform Podcast interviews with: Maxime Beauchamp and Kent Donguines of Aimer Films inc., George Turnbull, Erin Cheung of Ouro Collective.
- Discover Dancinema workshop with Jen Ray co-presented with Shine Dance Festival
- Future in Focus Panel with Tamara Thompson Levi (Shine Dance Festival) , Valerie Poulin & Robbert-Jan Brems (Danse Bloom) and talk "Don't Follow Your Dreams" by Danielle Jeal.
Color of Reality on Standard Vision SVLA1 Screen at L.A. Live
JUNE 2 + JUNE 3
We add a pre-screening Programmer Panel in addition to the Dancefilm Forum to offer insight into the festival curation process in addition to discussing relevant topics in dancefilm.
Our home venue continues to be The Vancity Theatre at Vancouver International Film Centre, where we screen
30 short dance films this season.
Our youth events in partnership with Y.P.A.D.: Youth Protection Advocates in Dance, Discover Dancinema, and The JaM Youth Project include tap and jazz classes, a movie night event, and Y.P.A.D. workshop focusing on youth and media.
Exclusive events for filmmakers including interview sessions and industry insider talks from Screendance Collective (Hannah Weber, co-founder & curator) and Film.Art.Dance (Autumn Mist Belk, co-founder & curator).
We partner with Standard Vision on a Summer Showcase to offer three films the opportunity to screen all summer long in the massive outdoor screen at L.A. Live in Downtown Los Angeles.
Photo of Cascadia 2017 Dancefilm Forum by Rob Zawistowski
JUNE 30 - JULY 1
We focus further on "The Meeting of the Minds" with our Dancefilm Forum event and featuring guests from
Dance Film Association & Cucalorus Festival (Brighid Greene) and Los Angeles Dance Film Festival (Lex Roman), & more.
Dancefilm workshops facilitated by Brighid Greene and Jen Ray offer filmmakers and dance makers to interact and investigate the interplay between Dance and Cinema.
20 Short films including many by Vancouver-based creators are highlighted.
From Easweard - Motion 58 Films
Our inaugural year explored "The Meeting of Machines" through 9 Feature Films, 55 Short Dancefilms, and 4 Multimedia Performances.
Our workshop component includes Tap with Mark Orsborn, Hip Hop with Marc Generoso, and Discover Dancinema with Jen Ray, Festival Founder & Producer.
Our parent company Dancinema begins producing screenings & workshops
in The United States. Read more at